March 25, 2009

Do You Know "GI" Joe's Name?



I remember, Joe was very popular in mid 70's when I was a kid. According to what I've read, it's the most popular doll for boys ever. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that this doll first appeared in 1964. I always thought it was first produced in early 1970's..

Also I finally learned what exactly is in the name. Originally, people thought it stood for "Government issue". But it was not Hasbro's name for it. His real name is "Galvanized Iron." Some people still think it stands for Government Issue though. As for how the name came to be, was due to the movie "The Story of G.I Joe" (1945). I've heard of this movie (but never seen it), and have wondered in the past if there is any relation to the doll and the movie. Now I know the answer!

GI Joe
http://gijoelocator.com/

No comments: