March 21, 2008

A Brief Illustrated History of Voting



The painting above, "The County Election", was painted by George Caleb Bingham in 1846. It's a political event outside the courthouse in Saline County, Missouri, that took place in 1846. There is a much bigger version on the site. When you are there, click on it and you'll get a huge display of this painting.

Have you noticed that all these people are men? Not a single woman in sight. Well, it's typical for that era, but I would think they'd at least wait outside for their husbands or something. Maybe wait with the children for the father.


If I had seen this site sooner, I would have posted it then. It would have been better with all the elections that are happening around the US. Now, don't get me wrong. I greatly dislike politics. But, this site is more about the methods and the process of the voting machines, which I thought were interesting.

It was interesting to see some of the machines, the ballot papers and cards.

Brief Illustrated History of Voting
http://www.cs.uiowa.edu/~jones/voting/pictures/


No comments: